1. Rewrite using the word in brackets to give the same meaning.
1. I came home as Samar was cleaning the house. (When)
2. I was asleep and I heard a loud cry. (While) ___________________________________.
3. My friend visited us during lunch. (having) _____________________________________.
4. As I was watching the TV, the telephone rang. (when) __________________________________.
5. When I saw Ali, he was running. (as)
2. Correct the underlined mistakes.
Yesterday was one of the best days in my life. It was my graduation day. I was very happy although it (1) were raining when we (2) arrive at the university. I (3) feel excited when they (4) were calling my name. When I (5) was getting my certificate, my parents (6) clap for me. When we (7) arrive home, my grandmother (
were baking a cake to celebrate my graduation.
1. _________ 2. _________ 3. _________
4._________ 5. _________ 6. _________
7. _________ 8. _________
3. Find the mistakes and correct them.
Last week while Tarek was driving his car next to the Suez Canal, he heard someone screaming in the water. When he stopped the car and looked into the water, he saw an old man were drowning. The old man fished when he suddenly slipped and fell into the water. The old man didn’t know how to swim and were crying for help when Tarek saw him. Tarek was a good swimmer, so he quickly jumped into the water and was saving the old man.
(You will find four mistakes.)
4. Match the phrases and rewrite each sentence below.
1. While I was reading the newspaper, A. when the lights went out.
2. Samer was watching a film B. Maryam read a book.
3. As she was C. I fell asleep.
4. My car ran out of petrol D. cooking, she burnt her hands.
5. When I called Ali, E. while I was driving it.
F. he was reading a book.
5. Read the paragraph. Underline the correct word in parentheses.
Last week Ali (were driving – was driving – drove) home from work when he (had – has had – had had) an accident. As he (is crossing – crosses – was crossing) the main road, another car (comes – came – coming) out of nowhere and (hitted - was hit – hit) his car. The two cars (was – were – are) damaged and both drivers (was - are – were) badly injured. At that moment, two cars (were passing – was passing – was passed). When the cars’ drivers (were seeing – was seeing – saw) the accident, they immediately (were stopping – was stopping – stopped) and (ran – run – runned) towards Ali and the other injured driver. They both (did – does - done) what they could. One (calling – calls - called) the ambulance while the other (pulls – pulled – pulling) Ali and the other injured driver out of the car. The ambulance (arrived – was arriving – arrive) after a few minutes, and Ali and the other driver were taken to hospital and were both saved by the help of those brave men.
6. Read the paragraph. Join the underlined sentences using the words in parentheses.
Last week I was studying in my bedroom. I heard my mother screaming. As my mother was frying some potatoes, she burnt her hand with the hot cooking oil. I ran quickly to the kitchen. My mother was crying with pain and the pan was on fire. I immediately put out the fire and took my mum to the nearest clinic. Thank God that I was at home during that time.
Last week I was studying in my bedroom. I heard my mother screaming. (while)
I ran quickly to the kitchen. My mother was crying with pain and the pan was on fire. (when)