Secondary 1 Grammar
Unit 4 - Present Perfect
Name ________________________________ Date ____________
1. Rewrite using the word in brackets to give the same meaning.
1. Amir repaired his car a moment ago. (just)
2. Amira and her family lived here from 2000 to 2005. (for)
3. I am studying Russian now. I started in April. (since)
4. Mona never went to Luxor. (been)
5. The last time I saw Ali was on his graduation day. (since)
2. Correct the underlined mistakes. Use the present perfect.
Sam is a young athlete who (1) has do many amazing things since he was a little child. He (2) has travel round Africa on his bike. Although he (3) hasn’t been finished his university studies, he thinks it’s important not to waste a moment without seeing the world. He is a cyclist and he (4) has took part in the Olympic Games two times. He didn’t win, but he believes that winning is not everything. Sam (5) have go to Holland now and he is going to travel round Europe from there.
1. _______________ 2. _______________ 3. _______________
4. _______________ 5. _______________
3. Find the mistakes and correct them.
Mr John has travelled to many countries since he started working in a multinational company that sells mobile phones. He hasn’t slept well for months, and hasn’t ate a good meal for a couple of weeks now. He haven’t visited Egypt since 2005 although it is one of the most amazing countries he has ever saw. He have had enough work and it’s time to take a long vacation and spend it in Egypt.
(You will find four mistakes.)
4. Match the phrases and rewrite each sentence below.
1. Have you ever a. for six years.
2. I haven’t seen Samy b. been to the USA?
3. He has lived in this city c. finished my homework.
4. How many books d. since his wedding.
5. I have just e. have you read?
5. Read the paragraph. Underline the correct word in parentheses.
Noha (has studied – studied – studies) how to play the piano since she was five. She (have participated – has participated – participated) in many school concerts since 2004. No one (have ever played – has played ever – has ever played) as well as her. Her music teacher (always had encouraged – has always encouraged – has encouraged always) her to practise at least three hours every day. Today she (practise – practised – had practised) for four hours. She (always want – has always wanted – has always wanting) to form a band. Maybe next year her dream will come true.
6. Read the paragraph. Join the underlined sentences with the words in parentheses.
Mr Samir has just received a letter from his son, Munir. Mounir is in France studying computer science at Sorbonne University. He has been in France for three months now. He has never travelled abroad before. It is a nice and exciting experience for him. He has visited many places such as the Eiffel Tower. He has just bought a new car and has gone to Cannes to attend the International Film Festival that is held there every year.
1. Mr Samir has just received a letter from his son, Munir. Munir is in France studying computer science at Sorbonne University. (who)
2. Mounir has never travelled abroad before. It is a nice and exciting experience for him. (so)