Name _________________________ Date ______________
Rewrite using the word in brackets to write short answers for each of the following questions.
1. Have you ever seen a shark? (No)
2. Can a turtle run fast? (No)
3. Do you keep a pet at home? (Yes)
4. Did you enjoy your summer holiday? (Yes)
5. Are you a good swimmer? (No)
2. Correct the underlined mistakes in the following dialogue.
Alaa: Hello, Karim. Did you have a good time in Marsa Matrouh?
Karim: Yes, I (1) does. It was fantastic!
Alaa: Did you (2) saw Mustafa there?
Karim: No, I (3) did.
Alaa: Has he (4) went to Alexandria with his family?
Karim: No, he (5) hadn’t. He is still in Cairo. He hasn’t travelled yet.
Alaa: I want to call him but I don’t have his phone number. Can you (6) gave it to me?
Karim: Yes, I (7) could. Have you got a piece of paper?
Alaa: Yes, I (
do. Take it.
Karim: Fine. I wrote it down. Here you are!
Alaa: Thank you very much.
1. _______________ 2. _______________ 3. _______________
4. _______________ 5. _______________ 6. _______________
7. _______________ 8. _______________
3.Find the mistakes in the following dialogue and correct them.
Fatin: Have you seen my new pen?
Mother: I haven’t. Did you took it with you to school yesterday?
Fatin: No, I didn’t.
Mother: Do you keep it in the pencil case?
Fatin No, I didn’t. I usually keep it in the drawers of my desk.
Mother: Have you searched there?
Fatin: Yes, I have but I didn’t find it. Do you help me search for it, please?
Mother: Yes, I can.
(You will find three mistakes.)
4. Match the questions with the suitable answer and rewrite them below.
1. Have you seen that painting before? A. No, it can’t.
2. Can a chicken fly fast? B. Yes, they do.
3. Do fish lay eggs? C. Yes, it has.
4. Are tigers wild animals? D. Yes, they have.
5. Has your cat got sharp claws? E. No, I haven’t.
F. Yes, they are.
5. Read the dialogue. Underline the correct word in parentheses.
Hala: You look awful! (Are – Is - Were) you all right?
Sara: No, I’m not.
Hala: Is it the housework that made you look that bad?
Sara: Yes, it (had – was - is). I was trying to do some work around the house and everything went wrong.
Hala: Can you (told - have told - tell) me what happened?
Sara: Yes, I (can - could - can’t). While I was cleaning the kitchen window, the ladder slipped and I fell and hurt my back.
Hala: (Were – Are - Is) that all that happened?
Sara: No, that’s not all. Also, when I was hanging the picture in the living room, I hit my finger with a hammer.
Hala: (Are - Is - Do) you bleeding now?
Sara: No, I’m not.
Hala: (Do – Did - Does) it hurt?
Sara: Yes, it does.
Hala: I’m terribly sorry for you. Do you need anything?
Sara: No, I (didn’t – do - don’t). Thanks, dear.
6. Complete the dialogue with short answers.
Zookeeper: Is this your first visit to the zoo?
Ahmed: __________________________. In fact, it’s my first visit to Cairo.
Zookeeper: Have you seen an elephant before?
Ahmed: __________________________. I didn’t know they were so big! Do they ever eat meat?
Zookeeper: __________________________. They eat only plants.
Ahmed: Can elephants swim?
Zookeeper: __________________________. And if the water is deep, they will swim under the water and hold their trunks up above the water to breathe.
Ahmed: Do they lay eggs?
Zookeeper: __________________________. They’re mammals and give birth.
Ahmed: Are they the biggest animals here in the zoo?
Zookeeper: __________________________. In fact, they are the biggest land animals today.
Ahmed: Can I take a ride on that elephant?
Zookeeper: __________________________. That's not allowed.