First Term Practice Exam 2
Name _____________ Date _______
A. Language Functions (8 marks)
1. Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue. (4 marks)
A police man is talking to Mrs Huda, who has been robbed.
Policeman: Can you tell me what happened to you?
Mrs Huda: _________________. (1)
Policeman: Where did the thief snatch your gold necklace?
Mrs Huda: ___________________. (2)
Policeman: Was there anyone near that shop window?
Mrs Huda: No, I was alone looking at it.
Policeman: __________________? (3)
Mrs Huda: Yes, he is short and quite fat. His hair is short and black.
Policeman: ___________________? (4)
Mrs Huda: He was wearing a red shirt and blue jeans.
Policeman: OK, Mrs Huda, we will do our best to catch that thief and return your necklace.
Mrs Huda: Thank you very much.
2. Write what you would say in each of the following situations. (4 marks)
1. Your friend is parking in a no-parking area.
2. Your brother thinks that basketball is the best sport to play. You disagree.
3. Your brother wants to apply for a job which needs someone who has an excellent command of English, but he is weak in English. Advise him.
4. You are late to class and apologize to your teacher.
B. Vocabulary and Structure (12 marks)
3. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c, or d. (5 marks)
1. By the time the firemen arrived, the fire __________ out.
a. has gone b. had gone c. is going d. was gone
2. I think Ali __________ to visit my uncle next week.
a. is going b. will c. would to go d. goes
3. If we don’t start using renewable forms of energy soon, the price of fuel __________.
a. will rise b. rises c. would rise d. would have risen
4. While Samy was tidying his room, he __________ to music.
a. listens b. is listening c. was listening d. has listened
5. I __________ reading Charles Dicken’s novel A Tale of Two Cities yet.
a. had finished b. haven’t finished
c. didn’t finished d. have finished
6. The Pyramids are one of the major tourist __________ in Egypt.
a. novels b. skeletons c. structures d. attractions
7. Personal __________ is extremely important in the prevention of many diseases.
a. character b. criticize c. cleanliness d. germs
8. A __________ of robbers attacked me yesterday and stole all the money in my pockets.
a. gang b. public c. geologist d. project
9. After ten years of imprisonment, the prisoner was given his __________.
a. exhaustion b. population c. freedom d. relaxation
10. Big cities are usually __________ with a lot of people and traffic.
a. punished b. arrested c. ashamed d. overcrowded
4. Correct the underlined mistakes in the following paragraph. (4 marks)
We’re going to buy a computer this weekend. We hope getting a good one. We buyed and read many magazines about buying computers. We cannot afford the expensivist model. But we can buy the goodest one for our money.
5. Read the text below, then write the word which best fits each space. (3 marks)
Be careful where you eat in order to prevent diseases. Choose restaurants that are careful about _______________ and which cover food to keep off _______________ and other insects. Dirty things are covered with _______________ which you cannot see but which can give you an _______________ in the stomach. If you have pain in your body or your _______________ is more than 37 _______________ for three days, you should see a doctor.