4. Correct the underlined mistakes in the following paragraph. (4 marks)
Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, which was written in French by Jules Verne, was translated into English. The first translations, (1) who were very bad, made changes and mistakes in the story. As a result, English readers thought that (2) a novel was not suitable for adults. In 1965 (3) the new translation was made. Now English readers can see that Verne (4) must been a very intelligent writer.
1. _______________ 2. _______________
3. _______________ 4. _______________
5. Read the text below, then write the word which best fits each space. (3 marks)
Samer has a phobia of heights. It is an __________ fear that gives him many problems. Samer’s office is on the third floor. When he looks out of the window he feels __________. Sometimes he even loses control and __________ . Now he has two __________ of therapy a week. The __________ uses a big computer screen to put Samer in a safe __________ situation. He’s learning not to be afraid.
C. Reading Comprehension and Set Books (11 marks)
6. Read the following passage, then answer the questions. (7 marks)
What inspires someone to make a new invention? Most inventors are inspired by need. Louis Braille, who was born in 1809, lost his sight when he was a child. However, his parents helped him to continue his education. His teachers helped him a lot and he reached the top of his class. At the age of ten, he was given money to study at the Royal Institution for Blind Youth, where he started to use a simple raised-print system for reading.
Louis Braille invented a better system based on raised dots. The dots are put into patterns in a rectangle which has six positions for dots. The different arrangements of the dots represent the letters of the alphabet or other characters. There are symbols for punctuation marks and for math and music. A blind person reads by feeling the dots with their finger tips.
Braille writing was not well known until sixteen years after its inventor’s death in 1852. Today, it is used in almost every country in the world and is considered the standard form of reading and writing for the blind.
1. The underlined word "inspires" means _____.
a. to make someone want to do or achieve something
b. to examine something carefully
c. to give something to somebody
d. to take away money from somebody
2. The underlined relative pronoun "where" refers to _____.
a. the money to study
b. the Royal Institution for Blind Youth
c. his home
d. simple raised-print system for reading
3. Louis Braille began attending the Royal Institution for Blind Youth when he was _____.
b. three years old
c. seven years old
d. ten years old
4. What need inspired Louis Braille to invent a better system of reading for the blind?
5. How many dots is the Braille system based on?
6. How can a blind person read with the Braille system?
7. In what year did the Braille system become well known?
7. Answer only four (4) of the following questions. (4 marks)
1. What are some important wonders of the modern world?
2. What would Fogg win if he travelled round the world in 80 days?
3. How do phobias affect people’s lives?
4. In your opinion, what important invention does the world need?
5. If you could travel round the world, what are two countries that you would like to visit? Why?
6. If you had a phobia of spiders, which treatment would you prefer?